Monday, August 8, 2011

In Yo' Face, Dedication Gods!

They were definitely testing me, but I emerged victorious.

A few days ago someone stole my gym bag out of my car. Yes the car was unlocked, but before you step up on your soapbox you should know that my car is a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder with a cracked sideview mirror whose remote control door opener was destroyed years ago by baby number 1’s drool. Children. Rain. Fumbling for keys. You get the picture. I usually just leave it unlocked. Well, unbeknownst to me the hippies next door probably had a gathering (no, I don’t have anything against hippies, it’s just funnier when I call them that… but it *is* a commune…with chickens…just sayin’) with unsavory strangers in attendance because when I went out to my car the next morning my gym bag was gone. Not the (empty) purse on the backseat. Not the dollars we keep tucked in the visor for tolls. The gym bag with my sweaty, used items inside.

I have to admit that I freaked out a little bit when I found it gone. My running shoes were in there, and my little clip-on fan, and my sports bra and my awesome orange ankle socks that make me point and flex my foot a few times to admire the view before I slip on my shoes. Everything in there was replaceable, but what couldn’t be replaced was my ability to steal out and run at "lunch." I promise you that that little release has been enough to get me though a whole lot of B.S. My boss especially should thank me for it. But without my sweaty bag of items with no street value at all, I was grounded.

But, no biggie, I said to myself. I can handle this. So last night I dug out my old beat-up sneakers that give me blisters from the back of my closet and replaced most of the other lost items. I even used a *list* when I went to the store so I would be certain not to forget anything. So giddy was I at the prospect of finally getting to run in the morning that I almost couldn't fall asleep.

Enter the Dedication gods. A nasty bunch.

1. I left my set of house keys at my office. They are attached to my flashdrive and i left them in the computer where I had been feverishly working the last few days. I realized this when I first woke up at 4 a.m. No problem. I'll take the van and I'll have my keys with me to get back in the house at the end of the day.

2. Around 4:15, ready to head to the gym, I realized that I had forgotten to put earbuds on my shopping list. One of the remaining side effects of hurricane Katrina is we have very few 24 hour stores. No prob. Willing to drive to one.

3. I get down to the car only to realize I left my phone inside the house AND since I don't have my keys and my husband sleeps like the dead, I could not get back in to retrieve it.

4. Again. No problem. I drive to work, get my keys, drive back home and tear up the house looking for my phone only to realize... it was in my purse the whole time.

5. The 24hour walgreens could not find the key to the glass case with the earbuds.

6. I go to another walgreens, wait twenty minutes for them to open, buy the headphones and...

7. *sweet relief* made it to the gym. WITH a parking space.

Not Job, but as close as I ever want to be. I had a great run and an even better day, so again I say, "IN YO' FACE!"

3 comments:

  1. Well done! I won't even comment on not being able to find your phone in your purse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Hey, maybe the guy who rode his bike at the gym locked his car keys in the house and had to take the bicycle that was in his detached garage to the gym where he typically rides his stationary bike??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do that kind of stuff, too? Man, welcome to my life. I have to create "systems" in order to make sure I always have what I need (i.e. keys, money, driver's license, etc.) with me.

    Anyway, YAY!! Glad you made it anyway.

    ReplyDelete